Monday, March 15, 2010

I Ove-Lay Mother Sheeeeeeeeep

Ladies and gentlemen, I am officially a jet-setta!

I got on my first airplane this past Thursday around 3 o'clock (Oh, right, the flight was at 2:30... gotta love American Airlines), and let me tell you, it was a very interesting experience. After spending some time at the airport bar calming my nerves and doing crossword puzzles with Corey and Andrea, we finally boarded, and some time later we were taking off. Well, I will say that take off was not my favorite moment. As I felt the plane ascending and leaving the ground I already missed so much, my head was pressed firmly against my seat and my hand was leaving an imprint in Rachel's arm.

After a few minutes in the air, I finally worked up the courage to look out the window, and it was gorgeous! After I was finally in the air and level-ed off, I immediately felt a strange sense of security that even the turbulence didn't seem to shake. The in-flight was "Up in the Air" which I watched about 10 minutes of and conked out, but was continually woken up by the turbulence of the storm we flew through... the same storm that would make Friday in Miami wet and disgusting. Landing was extremely smooth (thank you pilot) and my first flight was ultimately stress free (with the exception of some storm-turbulence) and pleasant.

Miami itself will garner another post. There are no words for how much fun I had. Every night was spent out in Miami, eating great food, getting drinks, dancing, or just walking around the area enjoying being somewhere else. I felt so connected to all of my friends; I never slept for fear of not experiencing the magic... which according to Clay James is gonna get ya! Oy...

Flying home started out a little high anxiety. For starters, American Airlines was COMPLETELY backed up by the storms in New Jersey... because they have apparently never dealt with severe weather conditions before. So people had been waiting to get to Newark for two days, and many of them were trying to get onto my plane... which was then deemed the last plane to go to NJ until Tuesday. Amidst confusion and freaking out flight attendants and flight coordinators, we received an announcement, at least, that we should not worry because we had "a super captain". This set my nerves at ease, because it's always nice to know that one of the members of Team America is behind the wheel of a 757 taking us safely to our destination.

Luckily, with the exception of wondering what the turbulence would be like near NJ, I was not nervous at all to fly the second time! I watched out the window as we took off, waving goodbye to the beautiful, warm Miami, and watched the lights of the city get smaller and smaller. The flight was extremely smooth, albeit the flight attendants were not, and I even got to sleep for a solid 45 minutes at least.

All in all, I am so happy to have had this experience and to have shared it with such wonderful people. I'll go into a little bit more detail about the experience in Miami in the next post, but my fingers are tired...

<3
Peace, Miami

No comments:

Post a Comment