Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Origin of Love

I am so, so grateful to whoever is watching over me right now.

Of course, as is only natural I guess, I'm still feeling a little lonely without someone to be affectionate with. I got to thinking yesterday that I was so hoping to have someone I loved around Thanksgiving and Christmastime this year, and it made me a little sad to know that that might not be the case. Of course, you never know- there's still two months, right? I don't want to force anything, though, so I'm just gonna let the universe do its thing.

On the bright side, however, I have really gotten the ball rolling on Hedwig! What started off as another one of my hare-brained ideas that is all talk and never comes to fruition is actually working. I'm so excited about it, I can't stop thinking about it.

When we first got back to school I spoke to a good friend, Monica, about directing the show since I was going to be onstage and needed a pair of eyes to tell me how things look. I immediately thought of Monica because I remembered her saying some time ago that she felt she had a gift for directing and was interested in trying it. Monica watched the movie with me, I gave her the CD, and she agreed to come on board.

Excellent! So now I have a star and a director... what else do I need? How about the rights to the show? A set? Lights? A band? The rest of the cast? MONEY??? Oh God, can't do it on my own, I quickly realized. So luckily Debra Otte, the head of the technical theatre program at MSU, recommended that I speak to Pat, one of the stage managers, as he was interested in trying his hand at producing.

I've worked with Pat before, and we got along well enough, so I spoke to Pat, and he immediately signed on as well. In fact, Pat brought the idea to Myra, another member of the Production faculty who has been an equity stage manager on broadway for years, and she is also helping to guide the production a bit. We've slated a production meeting (what?!?!?!) for next Thursday at 2:30.

How did this little project I'd planned on doing COMPLETELY independently turn into something so much bigger? I could not be more excited for the direction that this is going in, and I'm just praying that at least the big things like attaining the rights and the space will go smoothly. As long as I have the permission to do it and a place to put it, I can deal with the stress of everything else. Here's to praying that everything turns out alright.

In the meantime, I've been trying my hand at things that I have never even thought of doing before- production meetings? Concept boards? Pitches? It is all so unbelievably invigorating, and I am just having the time of my life.

My concept for the show is completely new- I'm incorporating a video/interview style production element, so I have been going over the script like a THOUSAND times distinguishing which sections will be performed live and which will be done interview style with videos on a "screen" (a sheet stapled to a piece of wood with a projector). I have done so much work, and have put in so much effort, but it is just the most rewarding thing I've done in a long time.

I'm so excited to begin working on my projects again- it's been so long since I've been able to throw myself into anything, and now with Sweeney and Hedwig I'm just over the moon. The ONLY down side is that I feel for Hedwig I should probably tone up a bit and maybe lose a couple pounds, so I'll have to hit the gym a little more, but what's wrong with this.

Thank you universe, thank you loved ones, and thank you to all the strangers who might be reading this and putting good thoughts into the universe. Who knows why the hell any of this is happening, I just know that I'm so humbled and grateful to the world for letting me experience it.

<3
Peace

1 comment:

  1. What can I say?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmEBBskGizY

    ReplyDelete